I get a lot of calls in regards to setting up new hosting accounts for domains from clients who already have a hosting account with us; what most people don’t realise is that with most of our hosting accounts, you can host multiple sites under the one hosting account. This is done through a feature called Addon Domains.
Addon Domains allow you to quickly and easily setup new websites under one hosting account. Here’s a small guide on how to setup your own Addon Domain for those of you who haven’t done it before:
1. Firstly you’ll need to log into cPanel for your website. To do this you’ll need to go to http://www.your-domain-name.com/cpanel and then login using your cPanel username and password.
If you don’t have this then feel free to email us at email@example.com, or give us a call on 1300 760 850, and we can have those details sent out to you.
2. You will then need to go to the *Domains* section and click on the *Addon Domains* link (shown below).
3. You will then see a screen showing the currently set up addon domains (which at the moment is none) and also a small form at the top of the page that is used to create a new addon domain (picture below).
4. Now enter the domain you wish to have hosted on your hosting in the *New Domain Name* field. Once you do this the other fields (*Subdomain/FTP Username* & *Document Root*) should both be filled out automatically, you should record the username somewhere for safekeeping.
It’s important to note that whatever is set as your username will need to be recorded as firstname.lastname@example.org , your-primary-domain being the main domain for your hosing account.
5. Then enter the password you wish to have for this account.
This, in combination with your username (email@example.com) can be used to access this websites files by FTP, although we do recommend setting up your own individual FTP accounts.
6. And your done! For the most part anyway, all that’s let to do is upload your website’s files into the *Document Root* that we set earlier, either via FTP or using the *File Manager* in cPanel.
For those interested, we’ll talk about FTP accounts and how to get them setup in an upcoming article.
I hope you enjoy hosting multiple sites under your single hosting account!