Get your site security hardened so it doesn’t get hacked!
A little insurance now could save you thousands in lost business and recovery costs down the track.
Getting your site hacked is a real problem – here are 4 unpleasant results you could be facing:
- Your site may be used to deliver viruses, triggering anti-virus alerts on your new customer’s screens, and causing them to close the site immediately
- Google may replace your website with a big red warning page, saying you’ll be hacked if you visit this page – nobody will visit your site until Google removes this
- You may lose your site entirely if the hacker is a vandal and it isn’t backed up
- It also opens other nasty possibilities, such as your email being read or re-routed invisibly
Unfortunately, WordPress can be more vulnerable to being hacked simply because it is so common and so well-known. Our WordPress Security Hardening will reduce the likelihood of this happening, and if it does happen, it makes it quick and easy to restore your site before visitors notice. Once hardened, our web hosting provides additional security filtering that will keep your site reliable.
Costs of getting hacked:
- Cleanup or consultant time (often as a rush job, and you may have to wait): $200 – $500
- Site downtime: may be days or even weeks of lost services depending on the severity of the hack
- Lost custom: how much business might you lose?
- Lost reputation: how much could the impact on your business be?
For instance, if you lost one new customer and you normally make about $500 from a new customer, a single hack could cost you up to $1000 at best. If you normally make $2000 a customer, and lose one customer and a little reputation when your site goes down, the overall loss figure could be more like $5000. Enterprise sites can lose thousands per hour.
Our security hardening service is designed by experienced security professionals after more than 2 years of research, using knowledge gained over more than 30 years in the IT and web security industry .
To give you an idea, our checklist includes the following:
- Database hardening – makes it more difficult for a hacker to attack the database
- User hardening – better protection against hackers using default users to gain access
- File permission hardening – stops hackers from stealing your database credentials
- Scan the site to ensure that it is currently clean – checks for known hacks and issues
- Security scanner – daily check that WordPress files haven’t been altered from their originals
- Plugin audit – looking for plugins that are not regularly updated or that we suspect may have security concerns (warning only)
- Making of a Reference backup for future safety
- URL filtering: known attacks are automatically filtered out before they even reach your site
- Password changes – we change your User and Database passwords in case they had been previously stolen
- Thorough security check of your site including virus scan with latest signatures
- Preventing uploads from being used to hack your site
Based on our research, we’re pretty confident this will secure your WordPress site from hackers well into the future.
IMPORTANT: Please note that you will need to keep your site current with regularly released WordPress updates in order to keep it secure. WordPress site security depends on having up-to-date software installed. We provide managed WordPress hosting services if you would like someone to look after your site maintenance needs.
The Fine Print for those who mind:
All prices mentioned above are inclusive of GST. Delivery times are subject to team load and we will advise at time of ordering. We reserve the right to charge for disinfection if the site has an active infection and requires extensive work to remove the infection. We can also provide security advice and consulting, let us know your needs if you’d like more information.
We cannot guarantee your site will never be hacked again (we’d be liars to promise that!). What we can promise is to do our darndest to make it very, very unlikely to be hacked; and to this date, nobody we have hardened has ever been hacked.
You will need to ensure your FTP passwords are stored securely as hacking is often done by viruses stealing FTP details. We will disinfect your site for free once, if ever required, so long as your website hosting remains with us (we need to use our in-house tools). If your site is hacked due to a failure of the hardening process (in our sole determination) we will repair and disinfect your site for free. Hosting services may be paid quarterly or monthly in most cases, and must be paid by credit card if paid monthly.